Monday, March 20, 2017

Making Strides

“Hey, you coming in today?”
            Not recognizing the number, I asked “Who is this?”
            “Oh, sorry, Marjorie. Me and Jordan were wondering.”
            Marjorie! I’d met Jordan’s friend recently, who had taken the initiative and requested a tutor. Her text signified, at least to me, that I was making progress on a personal level. Warmth spread through me in waves, triggered by the knowledge that our sessions were not only needed but wanted. I replied back promising to show up next week.
            A large portion of my volunteering at Sci High, outside the academic aspect, lay in building a relationship with my students. More than helping them pass a class, my goal was to serve as a role model and kindle a love for learning. By applying classroom material to everyday activities, I emphasize that learning is not confined to the walls of their high school but is a lifelong pursuit. Slowly, they have begun to discuss their family lives, interests, and future plans such as college aspirations. This text, innocuous at first glance, exemplifies the comfort level they now feel, a sought-after achievement on my part.
            “Marjorie? I’ll see you both tomorrow.”

March community service hours: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment